Monday, July 11, 2011

Just When Aunt Pat Thought It Was Safe...

...to have a garden, I prove that yes, dogs can remember things.  Every summer, Aunt Pat plants vegetables in the back yard.  In the past, she showed us what she grew, and gave us samples.  Well, Heidi and I were hooked after that.  Heidi showed me how to pick the beans off the plants...and pull the plants out of the ground if they weren't producing, as well as dig up carrots.  This season, Aunt Pat hoped that without Heidi around to instigate...as she called it, (like our sampling/pulling up the beans and plants was a bad thing?)she finally would have some beans and carrots for her and Daddy to enjoy.


Aunt Pat and Daddy will have some beans, but I didn't forget a thing!  It's my job to inspect everything around here to make sure it's nothing but the best for my family.  That includes sniffing out any problem plants in the garden...  
 And then pulling them out and eating them.  Heck, everyone needs a little more fiber in their diet, right?  Aunt Pat isn't too happy when I have bean leaves stuck on the side of my face. 
 Don't worry, I've left Aunt Pat with a few plants...for now.  Aunt Pat put tomato cages around a couple of her plants.  She said it was to protect them.  But, I know it wasn't from me.  For now, I keep checking the strawberries.  The ones we had earlier in the spring were much better. Probably because of all the rain we had.  The ones we have now are a little small, but I'll keep checking. The carrots are starting to come up, and our lettuce and tomatoes are growing nicely.  I don't sample the lettuce or the tomatoes or the basil.  There are some things even I don't particularly care for.     
   

No comments: