Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's Strawberry Time!

It's June, and you know what that means...strawberries! I love strawberries. It doesn't matter that they aren't ripe. I have to eat...errr test them to make sure they're the best quality. It's been difficult to get Aunt Pat to understand it. I hear a lot of the "Leave it" and "Out" and "No", but I know she knows the importance of quality assurance. Testing the berries lets me tell Aunt Pat if she needs to change anything with the soil, like adding fertilizer, or mulch. I'm teaching Chloe what to look for, too. She's very interested in gardening, although she likes to play with the berries she picks. Aunt Pat stepped on one she'd brought into the house and left on the dog bed. Poor Daddy got scared when he saw some strawberry juice on one of the pee pads. He was afraid that Katie was having problems again.

It's a shame, but sometimes every gardener has a casualty. The lettuce is still fine. I just stepped on it when I went to check the berry plant that's growing next to, and into it. I chewed off the runner that was interfering with it, and now it's just fine.

We just need a little more rain. The bean plants are coming along nicely. I had to pick some that weren't growing as quickly as I would have liked, and some I thought were a little too big for where they're supposed to be right now. Aunt Pat was very upset and told me that those plants were bigger because they were grown in a special potting soil so they were supposed to be bigger. I just made my cute "You-can't-stay-mad-at-me-because-I'm-too-cute" face and put my head on her lap for emphasis. It worked, but I'm not sure for how long.

No comments: