Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Baby Gates and Shelf Liner on the Kitchen Floor


No, it's not Aunt Pat's new idea in home decor. All I did was pull a muscle...it's not that big a deal. I still want to play fetch and go for walkies. They noticed I was limping, and took me to the Rehab Vet yesterday. I don't know how I did it, although I probably slid on the snow. But, I pulled my iliopsoas muscle. In English, it's a muscle in my groin. It was rather sore when the Rehab Vet touched it, but she was relieved that I hadn't hurt my knee. She said this type of muscle pull is very common in dogs, especially ones like me who have arthritis. The Rehab Vet's people gave me an ultrasound treatment, and a lovely massage. They also showed Daddy and Aunt Pat how to give me a massage, and told them to use moist heat in the area. I must admit, I'm enjoying that part of treatment. No wonder I like the Rehab Vet and everyone who works there so much.

But, I think Daddy and Aunt Pat are overreacting. Yesterday, this baby gate showed up. Granted, the Rehab Vet said that I should take it easy and limit my stairs, but this is ridiculous! Come on, I have a job to do. I have to make sure the humans are okay when they're working around here, especially Aunt Pat. If I don't hear them moving around or doing something once they've left the room, I have to check on them.

So now, we're pretty much confined to the main level, except at night and early in the morning. We're using the kitchen door to go outside to the back yard to potty. That way we avoid having to climb the stairs to the main level from the downstairs. The good thing about that is that there's less of a wait for treats. The bad thing, is passing Aunt Pat's car without getting in it!
Chloe's been very concerned. She's been sniffing me a lot, and nuzzling me to see if I'm okay. She's been trying to get me to play, but Aunt Pat doesn't think that's a good idea. Since the weather's been nicer, Aunt Pat has taken Chloe for walks. I get left home, since I'm supposed to rest. Aunt Pat calls it "Keeping an eye on the home front." I know she's trying to make me feel better, and I appreciate the thought, but I'd rather go with them. I rest in the kitchen while they're out, on the shelf liner Aunt Pat put down. The Rehab Vet recommended it. I'll admit, it's nice not to slip when I'm getting up or walking.

No comments: