Friday, August 20, 2010

Preserving the Bounty Of The Harvest


I love this time of year!  The garden is in full bloom, and we're harvesting...well, we would be harvesting carrots and beans if Chloe and I hadn't eaten all the plants and carrot sprouts.  Aunt Pat is happy that at least we won't touch the lettuce and spinach.  We...okay, I tried it and didn't like it, so I spat them out.  Whatever I eat, Chloe has to try, so she's not a fan, either.  She'll eat a piece of lettuce or two that Aunt Pat may drop from her salad, but Chloe prefers the grated carrots.  Chloe will paw at Aunt Pat until Chloe gets all the carrot slivers from Aunt Pat's salad.    
 
Since Aunt Pat can't grow everything she wants at home, she goes to the Farmer's market and farm stands to get fresh fruit and vegetables.  Chloe and I would love to go with her to sniff out the best produce, but for some reason she won't take us.  Aunt Pat says it's because dogs aren't allowed at the Farmer's Market, but I'm not sure she's telling the truth.  She has seen dogs there, but I guess the hot pavement and the crowds wouldn't be such a good thing for Chloe and me.  

Last week Aunt Pat came home with lots of green and yellow beans, and carrots, as well as sweet corn.  They smelled wonderful-I sniff every bag that comes into this house to make sure all the food is the best quality...and to see if maybe she'll share the bounty.  Anyway, Aunt Pat likes to freeze the produce, so all the beans have to be washed, snapped and cut up, before they get blanched.  Chloe and I are always eager to help, and I barked repeatedly, err, reminded her.  Chloe did too, if I didn't bark, then Chloe would jump and hit Aunt Pat in the backside, then sit down and look very cute. 

 Aunt Pat got the hint.  Aunt Pat threw us a few pieces of each color bean, while washing them, and after they'd been blanched and dunked in their ice water bath.  I'm glad they got the ice water bath and not me.  They were delicious!  Don't worry, we left a few for the humans.

No comments: