Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chloe Tries To Make Everyone Feel Welcome


 Whenever we have company, or we see any of  our neighbors on our walks, Chloe goes out of her way to make people feel welcome.  She's also very welcoming to other dogs, insects or other wildlife we meet, especially when they come into our yard.  Chloe gets very annoyed when Aunt Pat tells her that other creatures, like bees, don't want to be her friend.  Chloe's a very trusting dog who takes people, and things, at face value. 


 Like this frog Chloe found under one of the peony's in the garden.  She had met him...or her, I can never tell the difference, the other night while we were out for potties.  Aunt Pat had to literally carry Chloe in the house so she wouldn't keep the poor frog up all night gabbing.  I had a sniff around to say hello, but I think Aunt Pat was afraid Chloe and I were going to mistake the frog for, well, an appetizer.  You know I have a hearty appetite, but there are some things even I won't eat.

Chloe would much rather play with a new visitor...and that's what she tried to do with the frog.  But, the frog didn't quite respond the way Chloe hoped.  I think it got scared and played dead.  Chloe patted it on the back to comfort it, but it didn't help.  In fact, Chloe doesn't really know her own strength and she ended up flipping the poor frog over!  Aunt Pat thought it was dead, so when she got the little shovel to bury it, it moved. 

Chloe was very happy to see the movement..so happy that she started to bark at it and jump around.  I think she thought the frog would play, but I'm afraid Chloe's enthusiasm scared it.  It's not the first time Chloe's enthusiasm scared somebody or something.  It still played dead, so Aunt Pat took us both inside so it could recover enough to hop back into the garden.  Unfortunately, by that time the frog really was dead.  The humans found it where it had been laying and gave it a proper send-off. 

Aunt Pat took me back to our regular Vet for my one week check up.  My eyelid is healing nicely, but one of the stitches is starting to come out.
The doctor thinks it should dissolve once it heals, but if it starts to irritate my eye, I may have to go back to have the stitch removed.  They'd probably have to knock me out to do it, since having my eyes checked isn't always my favorite thing.            




   

No comments: