Sunday, August 30, 2009

Taking My Health Seriously


I am, really. Now that I've been going to this new Vet, I've been enjoying my walks twice a day and I'm letting the humans do my exercises a little more. I'm still resistant to having them do the flexion and extension exercises on my back legs, but today I let Aunt Pat do both of my forelegs! Getting plenty of rest is also essential to good health.

I keep hearing on television how diet is supposed to be a big factor in keeping yourself healthy. Sure, we get high quality dog food, but as I'm sure you know, I love to snack. I can't get enough deli turkey with my pills, popcorn, chips, you name it. But, I know I need to cut back on the junk food and eat smarter snacks. I've started pulling carrots out of the garden and eating them. I'll also take them from Aunt Pat when she picks them. I know she's picking them for me anyway.
Yesterday, I decided to try the spinach Aunt Pat has growing in containers on the patio. I helped her plant a fall crop in the garden the other day, and I've been sniffing the containers, so I figured I'd actually taste some. I found a nice looking stalk and pulled it out. I initially chewed it for a minute or two, and then spat it out. It was a little bitter, but I ate most of it. I didn't want to waste it. Once I thought about it, I wondered if it was the dirt that had been trapped on the leaves. So, today, I pulled another stalk of spinach out of the container. I thought if the leaves were smaller, it would be tender and sweet. No such luck. I didn't care for it. I'm not a fan of lettuce, either, so I've left that alone. For now, I'll stick with strawberry plants and carrots. Maybe once the fall crop comes up I'll try it again. We'll see.

No comments: