Monday, December 8, 2008

I Took A Little Drive...


to the Vet today. And no, I didn't drive, Aunt Pat did. Yesterday, I started limping. Daddy and Aunt Pat noticed that when I'd get up, I wouldn't put any weight on my left hind leg, and even when I would walk on it, I didn't put much weight on it at all. I have more trouble standing up on more slippery surfaces, like the vinyl and hardwood floors. I also needed some coaxing to go up the stairs. Daddy or Aunt Pat would stand by with a biskee and walk up the stairs. Then they'd wave it and encourage me to climb. Sometimes Aunt Pat would give me half of the biskee when I put my front feet on the stairs and give me the rest when I finished my climb. I still would go outside to roll in the snow, and had no trouble doing my business. There's also nothing wrong with my appetite.

Today I haven't been limping as much, but Daddy still called the Vet. I was a very good girl. I didn't leave any "deposits" on the grass or in the waiting room. I know Santa is watching me. There was a bad dog there, well, an unfriendly one. A rottweiler barked and lunged at us with his ears back and he didn't look friendly. I'm sure Santa will leave him some coal in his stocking this year. The doctor gave me a very thorough going over and said he thinks it's arthritis. He said my knee is a little swollen, but he thought it was due to my being a woman of a certain age.

He didn't think I tore any ligaments because he couldn't move my knee into any funny positions.
The doctor told Daddy and Aunt Pat to give me aspirin and something called glucosamine and chondroiton that the humans can get at the drug store. If they don't work, then we can try other medications. Daddy and Aunt Pat were very relieved that there wasn't anything worse wrong. So, after our appointment, we went to the drug store and Daddy bought some aspirin. They waited to get the glucosamine because they wanted to check how much glucosamine is in our dog food. Daddy plans to go to the pet store and see what they have to offer. When we got home, Daddy gave me an aspirin with some turkey and a biskee. Yum!


Katie seemed very relieved that she didn't have to go to the Vet, but worried about me at the same time. Chloe has been sniffing my leg and around me in general quite a bit. It's nice to know they care.

No comments: