Monday, September 28, 2009

Harvest Time!



I know it's been almost a week since our last post, but Aunt Pat hasn't felt too well. She's been recovering from both the surprise birthday party Daddy's friends threw him last week and our fluctuating weather that triggered some nasty migraines. No, the party wasn't wild...unless you count having both cake and cupcakes as wild. Not that we'd know, since Chloe and I weren't invited. Something about dogs not being allowed in restaurants. Darn Health Department. We had Aunt Pat get a card with some instant lottery tickets inside. Daddy won a dollar, which I guess is better than nothing. I hoped he'd go to the pet store and use his winnings to buy us a toy, but no such luck. Aunt Pat spent the day baking cupcakes and didn't give us any, either! I know I'm on a diet, but Chloe and I could have split one. We wouldn't have needed frosting, either even though it would have been very tasty.

It's that time of year again. Fall is truly upon us. Chloe and I have been helping Aunt Pat harvest the rest of the carrots from the garden. For some reason she planted them amongst the strawberry plants. Chloe and I had to help find them for her. There's nothing like the taste of freshly picked produce. I don't need Aunt Pat to pull them out for me. I figured out how to do it myself. First, I sniff around the ground to find the carrot. Then, I have to get a good grip on it. That means chewing off some of the green top.

The green part doesn't taste too good, and it only gets in the way. I'll give it a good yank or two. It's been pretty dry lately, so I've had to dig around some of the carrots to get them out. Usually a nice firm yank takes care of it.

I've been showing Chloe how to do it, but she'd rather wait for Aunt Pat to pick the smaller ones to give to her.


No comments: